Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Rats!

THE WORKOUT
Easy, endurance-effort run for ~35:00, followed by strength work
time: 36:31 (min:sec)
distance: 3.95 miles
pace: 9:14 min/mile (6.5 mph)

Elle: Webb wanted to go to the gym and run on the treadmill, but with a 40+ degree night in January, I said, 'Whoa, how often does this happen? Never.'
So I suggested that we take it outside.

Webb: It was a good idea to run outside. I don't remember the last time I ran down by the Charles at night in the winter. Typically my winter nights spent running outside are at SEAC's speed sessions. Otherwise I'm either on the treadmill or run during the day.

Elle: It was such a nice night for a run, really unexpected. As were the Boston city rats that we encountered along the route. TWO of them. We did well to stay in HR zones 1-2, except when a rat ran across our path, but what can you do...

Webb: I find them to be cute and I admire their empathy. Granted, I could do without the frantic scurrying. I don't like anything to be frantic or to scurry.

THE WORKOUT 50-minute functional strength
lunges, band walks, hip raises/drops, alternating rows (w/elastic bands), military press on stability ball with dumbbells, and ab/low back circuit.

Webb: This routine targets the posterior chain, the muscles that run from heel to neck, especially the glutes (lunges, band walks and hip drops/raises) and erector muscles along the spine (cable rows, military press on a stability ball). The exercises are done at relatively low weight, high rep with primary focus on form. The ab/low back routine consisted of three exercises done in a circuit fashion: supine pelvic lift x20, lumbar press x20 (actively pressing your lower back into the ground from a supine position with bent knees, feet flat on the floor) and 1:00 planks.

Elle: We keep saying how we don't get enough strength work in, at least we haven't this year, so it was good to do this. And we need to do more.
Plank is one of my favorite moves, so simple, yet so painful, if done long enough. And no equipment required. I still have to be careful with the squat moves, though, I'm not totally out of the weeds when it comes to my knee issue.

Webb: By the end of the workout, I felt fine (except for my burning lower abs). I even wondered if I had done anything of value. However, on my walk to the subway for my commute this morning I started to feel the tell-tale signs of the lunges and the general fatigue of the entire workout. And I noticed my posture felt a little taller? today. Yep, we gotta keep doing these types of workouts to be stronger come race season.

No comments:

Post a Comment