Tuesday, March 27, 2012

5 Day Update: Days 21, 22, 23, 24 & 25 of "30 for 30"

Webb: As the hours ramp up, the ability to blog suffers. Here is a quick update on the 5 days of "30 for 30" we missed - including a <gasp> day off.

DAY 21: SWIM and RUN

SWIM WORKOUT
w/u - 200 swim, 100 pull-buoy, 100 pull-buoy w/paddles, 100 pull-buoy, 200 swim
drill - 200 Catch-up drill as 4x50 drill/swim (25/25)
main - 400 at TPace
total - 1300m

RUN WORKOUT
Aerobic Run: 1:10:00 

Webb: It was a challenge keeping my HR in a low zone 2. I averaged 10:22/mile. Even though I am not a fast runner, that was pretty damn slow. That pace basically robbed me of using momentum to my advantage. Meanwhile, I think it helped with the conditioning of my legs and joints. My hope is runs like this will help me prevent ITB problems like I had at Ragnar Del Sol. I think runners call these 'junk miles.' Maybe. I don't know. It felt good though just to run at an easy pace.

DAY 22: SWIM and RUN (Hill Repeats)

SWIM WORKOUT
w/u - 200 swim, 100 pull-buoy, 100 pull-buoy w/paddles, 100 pull-buoy, 200 swim
drill - 200 Fingertip drill as 4x50 drill/swim (25/25)
main - 400 at TPace
total - 1300m

RUN WORKOUT
Beacon Hill Repeats with SEAC
w/u - 1.5-mile jog
main - 200m, 4x 400m, 200m
drills - lunges, lower-leg drive, bounding, etc.
c/d - 1-mile jog
total - 5.55 miles

Elle: I did the swim workout after work, then off to SEAC running club for hill repeats. It wasn't quite a brick workout, but my legs weren't super fresh for the run. The weather was fantastic, breaking records all over New England. It got up into the 80's that afternoon, and was still in the 70's for running club. I'll take it!

DAY 23: SWIM WORKOUT
Our new favorite swim workout: 
500 swim, 500 swim with pull-buoy, 500 swim with pull-buoy and paddles
total - 1500M

DAY 24: BIKE WORKOUT and ... No SWIM!?!
Aerobic bike: 2:50:00

Elle: OK, so the first 1+ hour of this bike "ride" was me, all-out, at race pace, just trying to keep up with Webb and Lenny. At one point I thought, "Why do I feel like I'm going so slowly, why can't I keep up?" And when I looked down at my Garmin, I saw that I was going over 20 mph. At this point I had dropped my chain twice and also adjusted my seat twice. I was exhausted and not having a great day. We finally told Lenny to go on ahead, so he continued at his pace and we, or I, could catch my breath. I was pretty tapped. Webb brought along some baked baby potatoes (an idea he got from Dr. Lim), which were tasty, but didn't help my aching legs. We finally got home, I had no energy left. I had no swim in me.

Webb: Even if we had any energy, we did not have time to make it to the pool. We awoke early to go see our super fantastic tax guy, Bob Torraco. The original plan was to swim before doing our taxes; however, I goofed on the pool times. That meant we would have to try to get back from our ride in time to hit the pool before closing. Alas, that wasn't to be. That's ok. It is probably smarter to have a day off anyway. 

By the way, the potatoes were fantastic. You should definitely try them in place of your gel packs. Natural carbs, fat and potassium. That is a tough combo to beat.

DAY 25: 2200m SWIM WORKOUT
w/u -  500 swim, 500 swim with pull-buoy, 500 swim with pull-buoy and paddles
drill -  200 Sneak Up drill
main - 400 modified IM ladder: 25 fly, 50 back/free (25/25), 75 breast/free (25/50), 100 free, 75 fly/free (25/50), 50 back/free (25/25), 25 breast
c/d -  100 easy free
total - 2200m

WebbThis was our first big training week. Our goal was 12 hours. We came close at 11:15. Next week we pick up some more hour before a welcome recovery week. Stay tuned to the blog. We'll make a big effort to post daily this last week of "30 for 30."

No comments:

Post a Comment