Sunday, December 18, 2011

I like your grey Banana Republic sweater

One of the keys to the early part of our training was to get back in the weight room. Not only did both of us miss the weight work this past season, but it may be why both of us have had some injury issues. We hope today marks the return to consistent strength training.

THE WORKOUT:
w/u: Easy one-mile run
Main 1: LEGS - 3 sets of a 3-exercise sequence. There is some rest between the exercises and full recovery rest between the sets. The sequence was:
a) Sumo DB Deadlift (x10)
b) Step-ups without weight (x10 each leg, do not alternate)
c) Lateral Lunges with weight (x10 each leg, do not alternate).
Main 2: UPPER - Pull-up, Push-up, Sit-up sequence over 20 minutes.
Elle  did 3 pull-ups, 6 push-ups and 9 sit-ups (5 sets in total)
Webb  did 5 pull-ups, 10 push-ups and 15 sit-ups (7 sets in total)
This is taken from a CrossFit workout. Those familiar with CF know that they love to do workouts where you try to complete As Many Rounds As Possible (AMRAP) in 20 minutes.

Webb:  It was good moving weight again. I have had a nagging lower back/hip/ITB issue going back to May 2010. Sumo deadlifts are a great glute and adductor workout. The step-ups are a great strength move for cycling and even better for me to work on hip stability (hence the no weight). We started doing lateral lunges when I saw that Lance Armstrong is a big fan of them. It is great for triathletes who tend to be injury-prone because everything we do is in the saggital plane (linear, front to back).

Elle: This was a fun workout. It was a little tricky, as far a logistics, though, since our gym is pretty small, and there's only ONE pull-up bar. So we ended up working in with two other guys, one I referred to as 'Green-Shirt Guy', and the other, 'Sweater Guy' because he was wearing a nice, grey, Banana Republic sweater. At the gym. Working out.  I've never seen that before. Hey, I'm not judging, I'm just saying what I saw.

Webb: I am a big, big fan of pull-up/push-up/sit-up workouts. I'm sure at some point I'll write about my favorite variation of this, which I call "Back to Basics." Doing these workouts you can feel how connected your muscular system is. Think you don't engage your pec's during pull-ups? Wrong. How about your abs during push-ups? You planking fans know the answer to that. I was happy to knock down seven rounds.

Elle: I have to admit, I do enjoy working out in the weight area and being the only woman doing pull-ups. And since we decided to try some video today, for your viewing pleasure, is me, on my 3rd set of pull-ups. They're not pretty, but they get the job done (don't worry, the video is only 35 seconds long...).


Untitled from Elle Steiner on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment